folk.

I've been a sucker for alt-folk for as long as I can remember. Here are some gems I'd like to share with yall.


We Are Trees, based out of Virginia Beach, defines their music as "acoustic lo-fi bedroom folk pop". I was convinced this was a side-project from Grizzly Bear's Daniel Rossen, but it's actually a completely different dude. That's not to say they sound exactly fucking alike. The production is top-notch on these songs. I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys blow up fairly soon.




Maryland-based Cotton Jones hits a certain sweet spot for me. There's the trademark folky-desperation-bluesy thing coating his voice. Oh, and they're also coming to TT the Bear's in Cambridge this October, so you should probably check it out.




And of course, how could I forget to add Old Canes in a folk music post? This is the side project from The Appleseed Cast's Chris Crisci. Early Morning Hymns one of the albums that carried me through high school and all sorts of emotional distress. I remember seeing them at Great Scott in Allston way back in the day and really enjoying it. Not all into their newer stuff, though.




That's it for now. My apologies for the lack of posts recently; it's been hectic trying to figure out airline tickets for my visit back home. This week is HONG KONG WEEK at the blog, so let's get excited!